Sunday, April 1, 2012

Rachmaninov Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor

The first post is for the piece I've listened to the most according to my iTunes!

The second sonata op.36 was composed in 1913. Rachmaninov revised it in 1931, so there are two versions of it. It has three movements:

1. Allegro agitato
2. Non allegro
3. Allegro molto

A performance of the original version is approximately 25 minutes. The revised version is about 19 minutes.

Vladimir Horowitz created a new version mixing the original and revised versions in 1940. Horowitz's version takes about 22 minutes.


My favorite interpretation of this sonata is by Vladimir Ashkenazy. He does something interesting to it; he adds some measures in there (1st and 3rd movements). I've heard many, MANY interpretations of both versions, and nobody plays those mysterious measures!! I'm pretty sure he plays the first version though. You should listen to different interpretations and see if you can find them.


I absolutely fell in love with this piece from the first time I heard it!

(each video is a different mov. even though they look the same)





No comments:

Post a Comment