I was studying piano performance in Mexico at UANL's School of Music, and as usual, I showed up to my lesson. I remember I was about 17 and I was working on a couple of Chopin etudes. I gave my music to my teacher and started playing Chopin etude op.10 no.5.
When I finished, my teacher asked me if I knew about Heinrich Neuhaus. I said no. Then she asked: "What do you know about Richter and Horowitz? I said: "I've never heard about them". She closed my binder and said: "You're so ignorant. I'm not going to teach you piano lessons until you know everything about them".
I felt like someone threw a bucket with cold water on me. I made a promise to myself that nobody was going to make me feel ignorant about anything related to piano.
I started my own plan to learn about piano literature. I used to have more "spare" time in Mexico and I decided to spend 2 hours everyday in the library to listen to Chopin etudes op. 1o & 25 with the sheet music. Then the scherzi, ballades, sonatas, and preludes. After Chopin I chose... Rachmaninov! I listened to the concerti with the full score. I wanted to know the orchestra part and everything. Then Mozart and Beethoven sonatas, one by one.
Even though I felt terrible at that time, I am very grateful with my teacher. I don't know if I would know what I do because of that experience I had. I hope you don't have to experience the same feelings and learn about piano literature because of your own curiosity. It's crucial to know the piano repertoire in order to be a good teacher and performer.
Here is a picture of my former teacher, Natalia Vladimirovna Tibets; I'll be eternally grateful to her for all she taught me!!
No comments:
Post a Comment